[Matchday] [Premier League] Wolves vs. Manchester Utd (02/04/19)
31-03-2019, 11:04 PM
[Premier League] Wolves vs. Manchester Utd (02/04/19)
Kick Off:19:45 | Molyneux Stadium

[Image: Manchester-United-vs-Wolves.png]

Team News:
- Martial faces a late fitness test on Monday after hurting himself.
[Image: tumblr_lx43ekV1QW1r9s77do1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2019, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2019 01:58 PM by Clint-TheyCallMePapii.)
RE: [Premier League] Wolves vs. Manchester Utd (02/04/19)
My Team would be a side to mirror Wolves:

DDG
Lindelof Smalling Jones
Dalot Pogba McTominay Fred Shaw
Rashford Lukaku

Subs: Romero, Young, Rojo, Perreira, Mata ,Lingard, Martial

My Analysis:

We have to learn the lessons of our failures. Make the adjustments. Play pro-active football.
Herrera is struggling to do the basics. Matic is too slow and immobile. Players like McTominay and Fred have emerged as better fits for the style we want. Energy,discipline, desire are required, the other two have struggled with the basics of football. We have to think about the balance and not the best names on paper. We need to make the adjustments or we will not produce a different result.

Lindelof is suited to the natural right side and Smalling like to the last man and to be central, out of instinct he always steps out and to meet the 1st and 2nd balls. Jones is suited down the left. Push Shaw and Dalot into wings where they can join the midfield 3.

Dalot struggles at right back to get involved, the wing back role suits him. Lindelof likes to come out through the right on his natural right foot. This should give Dalot confidence to be further up. Shaw needs to get forward more aswell, Jones will push higher up if instructed to and he does often, Fred always naturally commits forward. This should give Shaw all the space of the left flank to get up and down and sit in with the midfield. Watch Liverpool + City, they are advanced in their use of attacking full backs. We need to get up-to-date with the modern game.

The higher up Jones-Lindelof go, the better it is for Shaw and Dalot. With McTominay sitting in front of Smalling, we are prepared for the counter.
It's on Fred and Pogba to use their athleticism to get hold of the ball and release the wing backs and strikers. Herrera and Matic do not have the athleticism nor the natural ball playing talents. They don't have passing variety or the weight of pass required. The basics have deserted the veteran duo.

Lukaku is the target man.Hopefully he picks up from he left off. He should play on the shoulder and make use of his wand of a right foot.While Rashford should carry on from where he left off with Watford. Running in behind, peeling off the man and going wide and pulling the centre backs with him while our wing backs occupy their wing backs. Pogba + Lukaku are our aerial threats. Shaw or Dalot should be advanced in positioning enough to get on to stray crosses from the opposite flanks. The full backs need to keep the width and keep us further up the field. I do not want to see Shaw and Dalot sitting beside Smalling. I want to see them in front of Danny + Docherty, standing on the byline ahead of Fred and ahead of Pogba. I want to see Lindelof being brave coming forward, Jones pushing forward and McTominay sitting in front of Smalling and never leaving him alone.

I am not Pep Guardiola,Klopp or Pochettino, but I've watched how that trio intelligently outwit teams who are defensively compact and sit deep. There is a common theme. Attacking full backs, progressive centre backs, midfield 3's and pace up front.

There is a reason why the Top 3 score taps in 9/10 times and why we are scoring goals depending on individual moments of brilliance.

The standard of the top 2 teams playing style is so high that they walk the ball in. Arsenal/Spurs also walk the ball in. However United and Chelsea are struggling with this part of the game. United have little control of possession while Chelsea have ineffective possession of the ball. Arsenal are better with the ball but we all know by now they are mentally fragile like Spurs.
01-04-2019, 08:10 AM
If Ole is as influenced by Fergie as many assume, than I don't think we'll see 3 at the back. Fergie only used it as a last resort when we were out of CBs. Mind you, I think we should switch to 5-3-2 against Barcelona, but Ole will probably stick to his guns.

As far as tomorrow goes, I wouldn't make too many changes. Just Lindelof in for Jones, Andreas in for Mata and Lukaku in for Martial. A diamond 4-4-2:

De Gea - Young, Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw - Herrera, Matic, Pogba - Andreas - Lukaku, Rashford.

I am not impressed by Herrera and Matic one bit right now (and as a result Pogba plays like shit as well), but we have to assume that more game time will get them match fit ahead of Barcelona.
[Image: 5ohyX.gif][Image: berbatov.gif]
01-04-2019, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2019 04:27 PM by Clint-TheyCallMePapii.)
(01-04-2019 08:10 AM)Costas Wrote:  If Ole is as influenced by Fergie as many assume, than I don't think we'll see 3 at the back. Fergie only used it as a last resort when we were out of CBs. Mind you, I think we should switch to 5-3-2 against Barcelona, but Ole will probably stick to his guns.

As far as tomorrow goes, I wouldn't make too many changes. Just Lindelof in for Jones, Andreas in for Mata and Lukaku in for Martial. A diamond 4-4-2:

De Gea - Young, Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw - Herrera, Matic, Pogba - Andreas - Lukaku, Rashford.

I am not impressed by Herrera and Matic one bit right now (and as a result Pogba plays like shit as well), but we have to assume that more game time will get them match fit ahead of Barcelona.

Ole has to be his own man.
The flat 4-3-3 is rarely a hit for us. While the diamond does not work out with an immobile midfield of Matic and a out of form Herrera. Both look toast as does Pogba who seems shot endurance wise. We need to draft in Younger,Fresher legs. McTominay and Fred have earned their place after Paris. All the top teams utilize wing backs, if we don't we are not a top team.

We have to ring the changes. If we don't adapt to Wolves. They will do the same thing to us again. Jones and Lindelof create a better balance for the side, while Andreas doesn't seem good enough to start. If Mata is not good enough, Perreira's not close.

Herrera and Matic won't miraculously regain form. They are burnt out.
If McTominay and Fred don't play I can't imagine us overcoming their midfield 5 of Doherty - Dendoncker - Moutinho - Neves - Jonny.
Even in possession, they transitioned like beasts to find Jiminez and Jota who tore us up.

A diamond is the worst thing we can go for. Shaw and Young won't cover the ground up + down giving freedom to Jonny + Doherty. Pogba + Matic will let them slip to occupy Neves + Dendonker, While Moutinho would outsmart our whole midfield, especially Perreira. Even if we have possession, they will line up 5-3-2, out-number us 8 vs 6 and just sit in and hit us on the break. With Smalling + Young +Shaw being the main symptoms of a low block, we will have a midfield 3 on the half way line and be outnumbered 3 vs 8.

This is a tactical game. Apart from the 5-3-2, I can't see any logical shape to help us. The 5 changes I want refresh the side with players that beat PSG not along ago.
For me Jones, Lindelof , Shaw, Dalot, McTominay, Fred, Pogba are the magnificent 7 against Wolves.
01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
I'll be damned if I'm going to watch a Manchester United turn into a 3-5-2/5-3-2 team against teams we should be able to dominate (yes even with our current crop of players) with a dynamic 4-3-3/4-4-2. Fuck this pessimism, we just need to press and play forward, this defensive shit was Jose's bag not Ole's. I don't even want us to play that 3 CB shit against Barcelona, go for it or go out and let's move on to the battle for the Prem.
01-04-2019, 06:37 PM
I think the system is part of the problem, but the players being on top of their game is far more important. For example, 4-3-3 looked ideal during Ole's first weeks in charge, didn't it? Matic was mopping up everything, Herrera was key to our transition game, Pogba was chipping in with goals and assists, Jesse pressed very well and Rashford and Martial caused problems with their pace. The same 6 players lineup at Wolves and we play dogshit. But it's not the system's fault because out of those 6, only Rashford was anywhere near top form at the time. We play 4-3-3 against Watford at Old Trafford and they dominate us. Again, not because of the system but because the midfielders are playing horribly.

3-5-2 might add an extra body at the back (and I reiterate that we might need that at the Nou Camp), but it won't help Matic, Herrera and Pogba control the game any more. They have to pull their finger out first.
01-04-2019, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2019 10:17 PM by Clint-TheyCallMePapii.)
(01-04-2019 06:02 PM)@JC Wrote:  I'll be damned if I'm going to watch a Manchester United turn into a 3-5-2/5-3-2 team against teams we should be able to dominate (yes even with our current crop of players) with a dynamic 4-3-3/4-4-2. Fuck this pessimism, we just need to press and play forward, this defensive shit was Jose's bag not Ole's. I don't even want us to play that 3 CB shit against Barcelona, go for it or go out and let's move on to the battle for the Prem.

I just wrote an essay about being ridiculously attacking, playing like City, Liverpool, Spurs, Barca,Real,Bayern, PSG, Arsenal, Chelsea and you sprinted a mile the other way Icon_lol

Please give me a bollocking if I mentioned anything defensive. But I wrote in detail about dominating Wolves all over the park. To the degree that even Lindelof and Jones were on the half way line and Dalot and Shaw as wingers,

I expected more sense that what you posted. Apologies for being rude, but I don't think you understand attacking football. You understand United sure but not attacking football buddy. I don't think Pep or Klopp play defensive football and neither does Poch.
01-04-2019, 10:15 PM
Costas

Matic and Herrera shouldn't play mate. They are toast until they recover. McTominay and Fred are better right now.

Jesse and Martial are not fit enough to start by the looks of it. They did very little when they played the last games.

We cannot pick out of form players. We have to pick the best balanced team and that doesn't include Herrera or Matic. Those two have earned a place in the stands with poor performances.

We have Fred and McTominay for God sake. They beat PSG!

The 352 beat PSG.

An attacking 352 beat PSG.
02-04-2019, 06:10 AM

Squawka Dave seems to echo my thoughts. He wants a flat 442 and 352 in attack. He wants Shaw-Jones-Lindelof - Dalot, covered by McTominay. Fred and Pogba in midfield and 2 up front in Lukaku and Rashford. He believes the diamond would struggle with the threat of full backs from Wolves.

Good video by Dave, not exactly what I think but he's on right wavelength of attacking as a 3-5-2. But it does get co fusing if we have to keep transitioning to defending as a flat back 4. Naturally we will not defend alot so IMO its best to keep Shaw and Dalot committed further up like we did against Arsenal in the FA Cup. With Lukaku being the winger with little defensive contribution and that kept Kolasinac on a tight leash.

Anyways, regardless of formation and shape, we need to respond because we have played poorly since Paris.
02-04-2019, 09:14 AM
I can see where JC is coming from, to be honest. In modern football, top managers have indeed gone with 3 at the back without the intention of being more defensive minded. Pep and Klopp did it a lot in previous seasons, Poch does it regularly and Allegri changes formations every game it seems. However, the managers who do this have balanced teams and they know that 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 won't make much of a difference in the way they attack or defend. Because their teams have great full backs and hard working midfielders (both vey crucial components in changing systems without changing the philosophy).

We don't have those components with the exception of Shaw. Young is a solid right back, but as a right wing back he would be all over the place. And our best 3 midfielders on their day make 4-3-3 work, but I wouldn't play a 3-5-2 with them. They just can't cover the extra ground. Keep in mind, Ole did play a version of a 3-5-2 at PSG, but that was strictly for defensive purposes (and once Bailly came off, it basically became a 4-4-2). That's where we are at. If we play 3 at the back, the only logic behind is that we know we won't have the ball a lot and we'll look to have another body in defence. We can't use that system as a means to dominate games. Mind you, LvG tried it at first and it didn't work for him either.
02-04-2019, 09:24 AM
(01-04-2019 10:15 PM)Clint-TheyCallMePapii Wrote:  Costas

Matic and Herrera shouldn't play mate. They are toast until they recover. McTominay and Fred are better right now.

Jesse and Martial are not fit enough to start by the looks of it. They did very little when they played the last games.

We cannot pick out of form players. We have to pick the best balanced team and that doesn't include Herrera or Matic. Those two have earned a place in the stands with poor performances.

We have Fred and McTominay for God sake. They beat PSG!

The 352 beat PSG.

An attacking 352 beat PSG.

We are in a pickle now, mate. This is the last game before Barcelona. And the best solution right now is to get Herrera and Matic ready for that game. That means having them play their way into form. There's no other option. I agree with you that they've been very poor (and by extension, so has Pogba), but it's too late to prepare McTominay and Fred for that game. They did well at PSG and they've been benched since then. It won't be easy for them to start now and immediately play as well as they did in Paris. Their momentum, especially Scott's, has been disrupted. Ole has chosen to trust this midfield threesome unless there's an injury. And he will live or die by that decision now.

As for the rest, Jesse also has to play tonight and get match fit because his pressing at Barca will be essential. Martial, I am not so sure about. These constant niggles are beginning to get tiresome. I say we play with 2 up front (Rashford and Lukaku) and have Marial on the bench in case we need him. Tonight and at Barca.
02-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Costas

I see your rational behind being against the formation and rotating the midfield.

I just feel better managers and more proven managers would be more demanding even if it means exposing the squad to its weaknesses. Pep played Kolorov, Clichy, Sagna and Zabaleta before spending £300m on a new defence.

Poch played with the likes of Chadli, Mason, Lamela, Paulinho before receiving funds.

Klopp played his way even without Van Dijk, Robertson, Allisson etc.

United cannot compromise on our attacking mentality for Young,Smalling, Herrera,Matic etc etc.

Play the best balanced side until we can recruit who we need badly even if means playing B standard versions of Vidic, Fletcher, Carrick, Nevilles, Park etc etc.

I believe away from home the 352 can be dominant and offensive. If Ole can replicate greater managers within 2 seasons. He will lose his job. Woodward will play a big factor if we don't have a world class team by 2020's end.
02-04-2019, 01:50 PM
If United want to jepordise the PL results For Barcelona then

De Gea
Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Herrera Matic
Lingard Pogba Martial
Rashford

Subs:Romero, Dalot, Jones, McTominay, , Fred,Mata,Lukaku

Today and next week is best selection.

But if we want to impose a attacking mindset, stick to a attacking philosophy consistently and maintain a high demanding standard then we pick a completely different side that is balanced and picked on merit and natural ability and not reputation and status.

If we want to be a world class side our manager won't make compromises on the style that got him the job. We cannot be pragmatic for 5,6,7,8 matches running. Sooner or later we need to start performing to a higher level.
02-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Maybe I overreacted to your post or read it wrong. We struggle mightily with a back 3 and are not able to attack out of it because our CBs can't play the fucking ball. Smalling looks like a virgin ISIS bride on her wedding night every time he touches the ball and Jones isn't much better. Lindelof does have a decent ability to play forward but with the other clowns around him it'd be a cluster fuck. Bailly is too reckless and Jones is one of the worst culprits at lagging back deeper and deeper as a match progresses. I just don't see how United could be an attacking team out of a makeshift 5/3 man defense with the personnel we current have and think we can press more effectively from a 4-4-2/4-3-3 than we can trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

(01-04-2019 10:09 PM)Clint-TheyCallMePapii Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 06:02 PM)@JC Wrote:  I'll be damned if I'm going to watch a Manchester United turn into a 3-5-2/5-3-2 team against teams we should be able to dominate (yes even with our current crop of players) with a dynamic 4-3-3/4-4-2. Fuck this pessimism, we just need to press and play forward, this defensive shit was Jose's bag not Ole's. I don't even want us to play that 3 CB shit against Barcelona, go for it or go out and let's move on to the battle for the Prem.

I just wrote an essay about being ridiculously attacking, playing like City, Liverpool, Spurs, Barca,Real,Bayern, PSG, Arsenal, Chelsea and you sprinted a mile the other way Icon_lol

Please give me a bollocking if I mentioned anything defensive. But I wrote in detail about dominating Wolves all over the park. To the degree that even Lindelof and Jones were on the half way line and Dalot and Shaw as wingers,

I expected more sense that what you posted. Apologies for being rude, but I don't think you understand attacking football. You understand United sure but not attacking football buddy. I don't think Pep or Klopp play defensive football and neither does Poch.
02-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Ole picked my team minus Jones for Young.

Oh well.

No excuses, we have to win end of the day.

Lingard and Lukaku need to have a great game. Pogba needs to step up!!!
02-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Weird lineup. I am guessing it's a 4-3-3 with Dalot and Lingard behind Lukaku. Rashford is not even in the squad. Confused

I wish I could be more optimitic about our chances but only have one scoring outlet out there and not many players to support him.
02-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Team is worth over £300m to build. It better win!
02-04-2019, 05:55 PM
(02-04-2019 05:50 PM)Clint-TheyCallMePapii Wrote:  Team is worth over £300m to build. It better win!

Half of that money is Pogba and Lukaku though. The beauty of stats... Icon_lol
02-04-2019, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2019 05:59 PM by @JC.)
Ugh, Rashford was sent home ill this morning. Well let's hope that Lukaku steps up without him and Lingard/Dalot thrive on the wings. Looks like a 4-3-3 to me, at least Ole recognized Matic and Herrera were completely ineffective on Sat.
02-04-2019, 06:14 PM
Ole said something different about Rashford. He said that he has an ankle injury. Luckily it's not the same ankle he injured against Liverpool. I just hope he will be ok for Barcelona.

Ander is also injured according to Ole. I am guessing he has a typical case of HeadUpHisAss-itis. I like Herrera, but I don't have much respect for players who, during the most crucial point of the season, are too busy negotiating with other clubs. I also loathed Vidic when he agreed with Inter ahead of the Liverpool 0-3 loss (which he was dogshit in).