Ole's at the wheel.
28-03-2019, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2019 09:05 AM by Costas.)
Ole's at the wheel.
It's now confirmed that he's our permanent manager. He signed a 3-year contract. I would have prefered it if we waited until the end of the season for the official announcement. Don't want any players slacking off now.

Lets enjoy the ride and hopefully it won't end like Di Matteo's. Confused
[Image: 5ohyX.gif][Image: berbatov.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2019, 04:23 PM
RE: Ole's at the wheel.
Congrats to Ole. The poisoned chalice is now his burden to carry.

I understand the urgency given there is no candidates for the job but at this point he's the best and only candidate.

Its a impossible job under Woodward and the hard work starts in the summer when there will be a scatter gun approach, good players departing, priorties won't be in order.

Ole will have to respond to that. He either papers the cracks or cracks up himself.

I'll back Ole for the sake of his legendary status, he can never be doubted. He is learning on the job and we are no longer a competitive footballing club.

I love Ole, but he's the only person that binds me to the club.
[Image: tumblr_lx43ekV1QW1r9s77do1_500.jpg]
28-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Same here. Ole has revitalized my love in the club and he's the reason why I will look forward to next season.

In tems of next season, this move has a lot of positive. Ole already knows the squad, knows who we want and knows who should be sold. A new manager would have needed more time to figure that all out. And Ole, I assume, has had a say in our pre season preparations, so we won't repeat the mistake of 2014 and 2016, where the new manager had to work around Woodward's planning.

The question mark about Ole is whether he can be as demanding towards Woodward as he should be. If he's like Moyes and he feels that this appointment is too good for him, then Woodward will run amuck again. We need Ole to challenge the buffoon and to tell him what he wants. And we also want him to show Pogba and the like who's the boss.

Ole was great as a caretaker. But now it's no longer about taking care. He has to manage, he has to be mean and he has to be ruthless. We won't hire a DoF by the looks of things, so we'll need Ole to work his magic all across the board.
28-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Congrats to Ole, well deserved. Now comes the hard part, building a team and plan for a full season and beyond.
28-03-2019, 11:06 PM
Happy for Ole! For now trying to regain that feel from the holidays when he turned things around. Have to wait and see how the lads perform after the announcement. I’d hope it’s all guns blazing but let’s see how it goes Saturday.
28-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Costas -
I honestly feel like Ole is the club and if he fails, the club goes with him. Who can revive the club if not Ole? There's not a man out there. Poch is 2nd best to the best out there, There's nobody in the current generation of coaches that can bring us back.

Ole is 100% the man for the role, he's learnt invaluable amounts, but it all counts for nothing if he doesn't improve the standard to that of the 90's-2000's sides. If he retains crocks, misfits and has been's the interim period is a useless experience. He has to be more demanding,authoritative and challenging for Woodward and his cronies.

I think many supporters underestimate the level of disruption Woodward causes in comparison to David Gill. This man has only commercial strategies and works against the manager in every capacity to further his own goals. He's a con-man. You want a turkey? You'll see it in the oven, only to be served Roast Nut on Christmas Day.

Ole will have to steer a ship with no map or direction. The resources are there, however there is no destination . Woodward has made sure to burn all the maps but he's made sure we have a fancy yacht for the summer.
28-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Also Woodward has briefed the media.

Looking for a DOF may take many years as MUFC have no knowledge of the criteria of the role and have not created the vacancy or job role yet.
They have employed head hunters who returned empty handed as there is very little to advertise. It's not been a successful search.

Says it all....
29-03-2019, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2019 11:38 AM by Costas.)
(28-03-2019 11:31 PM)Clint-TheyCallMePapii Wrote:  Also Woodward has briefed the media.

Looking for a DOF may take many years as MUFC have no knowledge of the criteria of the role and have not created the vacancy or job role yet.
They have employed head hunters who returned empty handed as there is very little to advertise. It's not been a successful search.

Says it all....

Oh for fuck's sake! It's not rocket science! Look how quickly Arsenal found one after Gazidis left. The egotistical buffoon doesn't want to surrender control, plain and simple.
29-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Reading between the lines of Telegraph's Jason Burt and Mark Ogden ESPN/Independent...

United are searching for a technical director on the same tier as Ole and not his superior. A corporate man who advises Ed with little influence over the football side of things.

It's token role. In fact the real DoF is Ed Woodward who has all the powers. Woodward doesn't want a footballing related director, he would rather not relinquish powers.

An actual technical director's role is essentially to take a longer term view on the first team, loan players, the academy and have an input and control of transfers. However Woodward wants this person to be an adviser to him rather than a figure of authority. So far nobody in the industry wants a powerless,meaningless position which commands no actual decision-making authority.

A likely appointment of technical director will be made internally due to the lack of interested candidates. As I predicted in earlier threads this year.

Interesting side note:

Mourinho wanted to pick his own DOF after his relationship with Woodward deteriorated but Woodward shut that idea down refusing to accept his own failures as CEO.
30-03-2019, 08:43 AM
So basically, someone to tell him he should give Phil Jones more 3-year contracts. AngryAngryAngry

Now it makes sense why the search has led nowhere over the past 3.5 months. Remember, Edwin Van Der Sar was heavily linked with the job and suddenly those reports were dropped. Watch us end up giving the job to an MUTV stooge like Fortune or Djordjic. Dodgy

You guys were discussing the takeover rumors in another thread. Truth be told, we will only get rid of Woodward when the Glazers leave. Even if he leaves sooner than that, they will replace him with someone just like him. By the time the Glazers realize that putting money over success wasn't going to work long term, it will be too late. Some of them might even be dead by then. We are a cash cow, but a slowly thinning cash cow. You can only market yourself as "the greatest club in the world" for so long before your bullshit really stinks.

Mind you, no option is ideal. Arab owners carry their own baggage and shady dealings (the Saudis fall in that category), but at least they would actually care to make the team successful. Just like City's owners are. The Glazers *appear* to be decent human beings, but they don't care about a successful team. Just a successful brand. I don't think even being a PLC would have helped us anymore. We would have been debt-free and not dependent on any foreign owner, but spending on transfers would have been like pulling teeth.

It's really incredible if you think about it. We are the club with the most resources in the world, yet we seem nowhere near building a strong team.