[News] Scott McTominay signs deal until 2023
21-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Scott McTominay signs deal until 2023
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/sc...ter-united

Clearly the lad needed higher wages and a new deal.

Priorities sorted !

Icon_lol
[Image: tumblr_lx43ekV1QW1r9s77do1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2019, 07:27 PM
RE: Scott McTominay signs deal until 2023
They said on NBCSports Premier League coverage yesterday that Martial has a new 5 year deal ready to go and is likely days away from putting pen to paper as well. De Gea needs to sign ASAP as well!
21-01-2019, 08:34 PM
De Gea should stay now that The Cunt is gone. The way I look at it, either Ole or Poch will be our manager next season. Both are the kind of managers who can keep David happy. We also have one more advantage. Real will no longer go after him now that they got Courtois. Barca also aren't looking for a new number 1. So his 2 main reasons for leaving are no longer existant. What other club could ge go to that would be an upgrade? Juve probably, but they can't afford the wages we can give him. So unless PSG make a move, I feel David will choose to stay with us.

Pogba is also discussing a possible extension, from what I hear. So hopefully before the season ends he, Martial and De Gea will sign new deals.

As for McTominay, I have zero issues with him getting a new contract. People are too quick to write him off, just like they did with Darren Fletcher when he was McTominay's age. My philosophy about young players is always the same. I'd rather see them get too many chances than not enough chances. Don't want us ever regretting letting a potentially good player leave.
[Image: 5ohyX.gif][Image: berbatov.gif]
21-01-2019, 09:03 PM
(21-01-2019 08:34 PM)Costas Wrote:  De Gea should stay now that The Cunt is gone. The way I look at it, either Ole or Poch will be our manager next season. Both are the kind of managers who can keep David happy. We also have one more advantage. Real will no longer go after him now that they got Courtois. Barca also aren't looking for a new number 1. So his 2 main reasons for leaving are no longer existant. What other club could ge go to that would be an upgrade? Juve probably, but they can't afford the wages we can give him. So unless PSG make a move, I feel David will choose to stay with us.

Pogba is also discussing a possible extension, from what I hear. So hopefully before the season ends he, Martial and De Gea will sign new deals.

As for McTominay, I have zero issues with him getting a new contract. People are too quick to write him off, just like they did with Darren Fletcher when he was McTominay's age. My philosophy about young players is always the same. I'd rather see them get too many chances than not enough chances. Don't want us ever regretting letting a potentially good player leave.

Costas C'mon mate Icon_lol
Darren Fletcher came with the hopes and promises of Scotland on his back. They said he was the next beckham, while people at the club said he was the next keane. Roy Keane took him under his wing, he was Fergie's bastard. Guys like Darron Gibson,Tom Cleverley, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Sean Goss were hyped to the heavens for their abilities for the reserves and U21's.

Scott McTominay comes with no such high praise, hype or expectation. He's the John O'Shea of recent graduates. He's not got the same cheeky spark of O'Shea however. O'Shea at the same age was awkward and lanky but Fergie trusted this bloke as a 21 year old so much so he played in every game in 2002.

I'd bet one of my nuts that this kid will end up in League 1 or the Championship with Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair, Reece James and Donald Love. Mourinho did what LVG did, token graduates, not based on merit or talent.
22-01-2019, 05:25 AM
If Ole gets the job permanently, I think we'll find out soon whether McT has the promise to be the real deal or not. Ole doesn't seem like someone who'd play favourites or promote someone just for nice headlines.
22-01-2019, 11:31 AM
(21-01-2019 09:03 PM)Clint-TheyCallMePapii Wrote:  Costas C'mon mate Icon_lol
Darren Fletcher came with the hopes and promises of Scotland on his back. They said he was the next beckham, while people at the club said he was the next keane. Roy Keane took him under his wing, he was Fergie's bastard. Guys like Darron Gibson,Tom Cleverley, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Sean Goss were hyped to the heavens for their abilities for the reserves and U21's.

Scott McTominay comes with no such high praise, hype or expectation. He's the John O'Shea of recent graduates. He's not got the same cheeky spark of O'Shea however. O'Shea at the same age was awkward and lanky but Fergie trusted this bloke as a 21 year old so much so he played in every game in 2002.

I'd bet one of my nuts that this kid will end up in League 1 or the Championship with Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair, Reece James and Donald Love. Mourinho did what LVG did, token graduates, not based on merit or talent.

I don't put too much stock in how much young players are being hyped, to be honest mate. Jones was heralded as the new JT, Cleverley was called our Iniesta and Scholes said Gibson reminded him of himself. Possebon as well was ridiculously built up as something special. None of them lived up to all that while O'Shea and Brown (with much less hype) ended up having better United careers. Lingard didn't have the hype that Januzaj or even Zaha did, but look who's still at the club 6 years later...

Fletcher did have some hype surrounding him (although the Beckham thing was only because Fergie played him on the right initially and it didn't last long), but it meant nothing. When he was 20-22, fans would berate the lad every week. Because he didn't score like Scholes or because he didn't run as much as Keane would. There was no social media at the time, but I vividly remember the discussions on MUTV during the 2003-2006 drought. Few people said "This kid comes with a lot of praise, maybe we should wait and see". Fletcher off the hook for his debut season, but criticism began to increase in 2005. Fans only got off his back when they thought we solved out midfield issues with Carrick, Hargreaves and Anderson and that Fletcher would become a peripheral figure. And then they did a full 180 on him when he became our midfield engine in 2008-09.

I am not saying history will repeate itself with McTominay. I just don't see why I would write off a player his age, when he still hasn't had a proper opportunity to play regularly and figure out what his strengths are. His run last season was just a Mourinho vanity project to prove that he can promote youngsters. He didn't play him in a steady position and that's why McTominay has made little progress since his debut. Even Ole played him in 2 different positions against Reading because he didn't know what McTominay's best role is. For me he should be a DM, but it's something that he will have to work on consistently. Either with us or on loan.
[Image: 5ohyX.gif][Image: berbatov.gif]
22-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Fair point but I see this "contract renewal" as another error of Manchester United whilst operating without a Director/Sporting director.

Who made this decision? Ole is not the permanent manager nor has he managed Scott previously. Neither has Phelan.
The culprits are Ed Woodward. Who would he have consulted? Nicky Butt and McKenna?

It's not a difficult decision to make, but the fact that Woodward is making footballing decisions and is accountable for this is a concern. Will he ever concede this power? He couldn't even wait until a manager or director to be appointed.

What if he gives Jones a contract next?
or Valencia?
Rojo was given a 3 year extension last summer, Fellaini was given a 2 year extension....imagine this fool gives Jones a 4 year deal?